Many web applications out there don't get the testing love they need. Some test suites only have unit tests; they run fast, but will never prove that features as a whole function correctly. Some test suites only have functional tests; they run very slowly, they often fail for no reason, but they can prove that all the wiring is correct too. There is a middle ground, which we'll be aiming to reach in this 2-day workshop. We take an existing application with only functional tests and "tease out" other types of tests. We thereby:
- Increase the speed and predictability of the test suite as a whole,
- Reduce the need for functional tests,
- Set a standard for web application test suites, which you can apply at home (or at work) too. All of this will be rooted in some pretty interesting software architecture theory (i.e. ports & adapters and layered architecture).
- System tests
- Architecture: ports, adapters, layers
- Integration tests
- Unit tests
- Acceptance tests
- Test doubles and architectural boundaries
- Spotting design issues with feedback from tests
- You should be comfortable writing PHP code.
- You should have Docker running on your machine (the workshop project ships with Docker images).
Lunch and drinks are included.
The venue for the workshop hasn't been determined yet, but it will be somewhere in the middle of the country.
Early bird tickets are available until September 20th!
There's a group discount of 10% when ordering 3 or more tickets.